MPP launches petition to keep court in Minden
By Jenn Watt
Published April 12, 2017
Following news that the provincial offences court in Minden would be closed from July of 2017 to July of 2018, local MPP Laurie Scott has launched a petition.
Likening this decision to the province's announcement and subsequent backtrack on closing the Service Ontario office on Highway 35, Scott called the situation government “mismanagement.”
“If the Attorney General moves forward with this, he will reduce access to justice for many people in the county,” she said in a press release.
As reported previously in the Minden Times, of the 48 justice of the peace positions in the Central East region, 12 seats are vacant and another three justices are on long-term leave.
The ministry told the paper that recruitment is underway.
Haliburton County council was advised that due to the shortage, courts had been experiencing closures throughout the region.
Scott said closure of the Minden court would hurt the local economy and put undue hardship on those needing to travel to court, who will have to go to Lindsay, some 75 kilometres south of Minden.
You can view and sign the petition online at lauriescott.com.